Malaria drug touted by Trump for coronavirus fails another test

first_imgThat analysis of medical records showed a death rate of 28% when the drug was given in addition to standard treatments, compared to 11% with standard care alone.In the latest study, 811 patients got hydroxychloroquine and 565 did not.Because they were not randomly assigned to receive hydroxychloroquine or a placebo, “the study should not be taken to rule out either benefit or harm” for the drug, researchers said. Randomized trials, the gold standard for tests of new therapies, should continue, they added.But for now, “the guidance in our hospital has changed so we don’t recommend giving hydroxychloroquine to hospitalized patients,” said Dr. Schluger, chief of the division of pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine at Irving.Smaller studies, including one done in China, had suggested hydroxychloroquine might be useful, “but these were tiny studies and not of good quality. People seized on them because patients were dying,” he said.There are currently no approved treatments for COVID-19, although Gilead Sciences Inc’s experimental antiviral drug remdesivir last week receive emergency use authorization from US regulators.  Topics : The malaria treatment repeatedly championed by US President Donald Trump as a “game changer” in the fight against the novel coronavirus has again failed to show a benefit in patients hospitalized with COVID-19, according to a study released on Thursday.While the study being published in the New England Journal of Medicine had certain limitations, doctors reported that the use of hydroxycholoquine neither lessened the need for patients requiring breathing assistance nor the risk of death.”We didn’t see any association between getting this medicine and the chance of dying or being intubated,” lead researcher Dr. Neil Schluger told Reuters in a telephone interview. “The patients who got the drug didn’t seem to do any better.”center_img Among patients given hydroxychloroquine, 32.3% ended up needing a ventilator or dying, compared with 14.9% of patients who were not given the drug.But doctors were more likely to give hydroxychloroquine to sicker patients, so researchers at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University Irving Medical Center adjusted the rates to account for that. They concluded that the drug may not have hurt patients, but it clearly did not help.Decades old hydroxychloroquine, which is also used to treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, also showed no benefit when combined with the antibiotic azithromycin, Schluger’s team reported. Azithromycin alone also showed no benefit.Last month, doctors at the US Department of Veterans Affairs reported that hydroxychloroquine did not help COVID-19 patients and might pose a higher risk of death.last_img read more

Crime and violence receives attention from religious leaders

first_img Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Crime and violence receives attention from religious leaders by: – April 14, 2011 12 Views   no discussions Tweetcenter_img Share Share Religious Leaders at this mornings discussion.The matter of Crime and Violence in Dominica is receiving the attention of the Christian Churches.Representatives from the Dominica Christian Council, the Evangelical Association, and the Seventh Day Adventist Church met today at the Roman Catholic Chancery Conference Room on Thursday, April 14, 2011, to discuss the situation of Crime and Violence in Dominica and to form a partnership on the way forward.The meeting thoroughly examined the impact of Crime and Violence in the Dominican Society and discussed a paper on crime and violence with recommendations, prepared by the Justice & Peace Commission of the Roman Catholic Church which was presented to Government.The meeting of Christian churches agreed on a working group to review the recommendations contained in the paper presented by the Justice & Peace Commission and also to identify areas for a joint plan of action.The meeting, which was held in a very cordial atmosphere, agreed that the Christian Churches can play a pivotal role in addressing issues related to crime and violence in Dominica.The established working group has set a date in early May to identify and agree on a plan of action.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

‘Pusher’ falls in buy-bust

first_imgThe suspect was detained in thecustodial facility of the Bago City police station, facing charges forviolation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of2002./PN When frisked, Teodoro yielded six moresachets of suspected illegal drugs. The 46-year-old Jake Teodoro was nabbedin a drug buy-bust operation in Barangay Poblacion, Bago City, NegrosOccidental, a police report showed.Teodoro – resident of the village – was nabbed after he sold a sachet ofsuspected shabu to an undercover cop for P500 around 1:30 p.m. on April 23, itadded.center_img BACOLOD City – He allegedly sold illegaldrugs, police said.last_img read more

Tuesday Marks Anniversary Of Two Twisters

first_imgA home on Finks Road in Osgood suffered damage from the tornado on February 20.Tuesday marks the anniversary of a deadly tornado in Oklahoma and also another recent tornado that impacted the area.Three months ago an EF-1 tornado touched down in Osgood with wind speeds of 90 miles an hour and damaged a home and barn on Finks Road.It forced a home off of its foundation while the owner and her granddaughter were inside. The two took shelter in an interior room and survived the twister without injury.On May 20, 2013 a tornado tore through Moore, Oklahoma, reaching wind speeds of 210 miles an hour.The EF-5 twister claimed the life of 24 people and injured over 300.last_img read more

Hillcrest Bridge Expected To Be Closed Sept. 29

first_imgBATESVILLE — Road construction is getting underway near the Hillcrest Golf Course in Batesville.Paul Rohe Company began a sewer project in the area Monday which does not impact travel on S.R. 229.The bridge will be closed by the end of September for an Indiana Department of Transportation Project. Project officials say the road will be closed on September 29.Road work is estimated to last 55 days and detour routes will be posted.last_img

Bulldogs Battle Golden Bears In Boys Soccer

first_imgThe Batesville Bulldogs were defeated by The Shelbyville Golden Bears 3-2 in Boys Varsity Soccer.Batesville vs. Shelbyville Boys Varsity Soccer (9-9)The Bulldogs JV won 2-1.Batesville vs. Shelbyville JV Soccer (9-9)Courtesy of Bulldogs Coaches Chris Fox and Josh Meyer.last_img

Hodgson: Why I ordered Zaha to retake Ayew’s penalty against Man Utd

first_img Loading… Crystal Palace boss, Roy Hodgson, has explained why he asked Wilfried Zaha to retake Jordan Ayew’s penalty in Saturday’s 3-1 triumph over Manchester United. In the famous win at Old Trafford, Andros Townsend gave the Eagles a first-half lead thanks to his seventh minute lead courtesy of Jeffrey Schlupp’s assist. With less than 20 minutes left to play, the visitors were handed a penalty by referee Martin Atkinson after Ayew’s flick struck the Victor Lindelof’s hand. David de Gea saved Ayew’s softly struck penalty, only for a retake to be ordered by VAR as the Spain international stepped off his line. Zaha stepped up to smash the ball high into the net as Selhurst Park giants raced to a two-goal lead. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men pulled one back through substitute Donny van de Beek in the 80th minute, while the Cote d’Ivoire sealed victory with five minutes left to play. Speaking after the game, the former England, Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion boss revealed why he called for another player to then step-up, reminding how a similar situation with a previous club changed his approach.Advertisement Promoted ContentThe Best Tarantino Movie YetWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World10 Bollywood Celeb Weight Loss Transformations That Will Stun You5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksTop 10 Tiniest Phones Ever MadeTop 10 Most Populated Cities In The WorldThe Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love WithThe Most Exciting Cities In The World To VisitTarantino’s Latest Effort Will Probably Be His Best To Date7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too MuchTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The Worldcenter_img “I don’t think it’s good for a player to miss a penalty and then to immediately take another one. I think your confidence is affected by the miss,” Hodgson told club website. “It wasn’t a good penalty, it was quite a comfortable save by De Gea and I’m pretty sure if I had allowed him to take the penalty, he might well have scored it. But I didn’t think it was a good idea to take that chance. read also:Zaha double helps Palace beat Man Utd at Old Trafford “I had an experience long in the past where our penalty taker – who never missed penalties – missed two in the same game in a European tie and ever since that moment I’ve thought it’s not a great idea to have the guy who’s missed take the second one.” Palace, with two wins from two in the English topflight far, tackle fellow fast starters Everton next on Saturday, while the Red Devils go to Luton Town in the English Football League Cup on Tuesday before getting back to Premier League action when they face Brighton and Hove Albion. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Five IMCA national champions receive top awards from Wilwood Engineering

first_imgCAMARILLO, Calif. ­­– Five of the national champions crowned in 2018 earn contingency awards from Wilwood Engineering.Top drivers in national standings for the IMCA Modified, IMCA Sunoco Stock Car, Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod and Smiley’s Racing Products Southern SportMod divisions receive front brake rotors from the Camarillo, Calif., manufacturer. The IMCA Late Model champion receives a set of front and rear wide hubs.Second through fifth place finishers in all five divisions receive $100 product certificates.All awards will be given during the national IMCA banquet in November, or mailed beginning the following week from the IMCA home office.The 2018 season is Wilwood Engineering’s eighth as an IMCA sponsor and information about the com­plete line of Wilwood products is available at the www.wilwood.com website, by calling 805 388-1188 and on Facebook.“Wilwood has faithfully supported a variety of IMCA division for eight seasons and working to­gether during that time our shared goal has been the safety of IMCA racers,” emphasized Kevin Yoder, director of marketing for the sanctioning body. “It is great to partner with such a well-re­spected company in the industry and we look forward to a bright future.”last_img read more

Carrick extends United contract

first_img Now 32, Carrick joined United for £18million from Tottenham in 2006, since when he has won five Premier League titles, a Champions League crown and the League Cup. Carrick is currently sidelined with an Achilles injury he aggravated in the Premier League win over Arsenal earlier this month. However, the former West Ham man has already done enough to convince Moyes he is worthy of a place in his squad. Moyes said: “I am delighted Michael has extended his contract. During my short time at the club it hasn’t been hard to notice that Michael is a great reader of the game and has excellent passing ability. He is an exceptional man and a true professional and it’s great that he has committed himself to the club.” Moyes will be delighted to secure the services of such a senior figure, especially at a time when his midfield is under so much scrutiny. With Carrick and Phil Jones both missing Sunday’s trip to Cardiff, the United boss will be selecting from 39-year-old Ryan Giggs, £27.5million new boy Marouane Fellaini, who has taken time to adapt following his summer deadline-day move from Everton, Tom Cleverley and Anderson, who has rarely impressed on a consistent basis in over six years at the club. There has also been talk of a new deal for skipper Nemanja Vidic, whose agent has quashed talk of a switch to Juventus, while Wayne Rooney’s future will continue to be the subject of debate until he signs an extension to his present deal, which is due to expire in 2015. Press Association The deal, which includes an option to extend the deal by a further year, recognises Carrick’s status as one of the central components of David Moyes’ revolution and will extend the midfielder’s stay at Old Trafford to a full decade. Carrick told the club’s official Twitter account: “It’s great to extend my contract at this club. I’m really enjoying my football. I’ve won many trophies and look forward to more.” center_img Michael Carrick has agreed a contract extension until 2015 at Manchester United.last_img read more

Dembele hoping for more chances

first_img The 27-year-old has been a regular starter ever since breaking through at Germinal Beerschot, enjoying similarly-important roles at Willem II, AZ Alkmaar and then Fulham. Dembele’s fine form at Craven Cottage, where Martin Jol helped transform the forward into an accomplished midfielder, saw Spurs come calling two years ago, paying the £15million release clause. The Belgium international impressed in his first season but has gradually slipped down the pecking order at White Hart Lane and this has started just two Premier League matches this term. “I haven’t played that much,” Dembele said. “I have played some good games but it’s different from in the past. “Before I played every week and maybe, I won’t say easier, but if you play a lot you feel physically stronger. “We train a lot, I take my games and I have to take my chances. Hopefully in the future I will play a lot more and get physically stronger. “It’s the first time in my career that this has happened a bit. It’s something new and I need to think about it a lot. “It’s important to be ready all the time but it’s a new thing for me.” Given Dembele is one of a host of midfield options at Tottenham’s disposal, he may well find himself back on the bench when Stoke arrive on Sunday. Spurs return to league action off the back of a successful trip to Greece, where the Belgian started the Europa League defeat of Asteras Tripolis. The result leaves Mauricio Pochettino’s side on the brink of the Europa League knock-out stages, although their woeful second-half display overshadowed the victory. It is the kind of drop-off Dembele hinted was down to complacency rather than a sign England coach Gary Neville may be right in his suggestion that Spurs are “mentally weak”. “Of course I think we’re not weak but I didn’t hear this,” Dembele said. “I think we think differently about this. “Every team has some weaknesses and we have our own things to think about, like against Asteras. “We need to be ready quicker, from the first minute. We did it in the first half and then the second half we didn’t expect them to come at us. “We were too relaxed and this cannot happen again. We need to speak about it.” That flaky defensive display coupled with Spurs’ habit of struggling after Europa League games will buoy Sunday’s opponents Stoke. The Potters have had a frustrating start to the campaign but Dembele believes things will improve under manger Mark Hughes, who he played under at Fulham. “For me he was a very good manager,” he said. “He believed a lot in me and gave me a lot of confidence so for me I had a good experience with him and he helped me a lot. “It was my first year in the Premier League and he spoke a lot with me. “Maybe the most important thing was the confidence he gave me. how he spoke with me and he made me important in the team. It made me feel very important and that’s a big thing.” Mousa Dembele has never before had to spend so much time on the bench – a lack of regular football which is taking its toll on the Tottenham midfielder. Press Associationlast_img read more