UConn cancels football season as NCAA announces scholarship protection amid COVID-19

first_imgAugust 5, 2020 /Sports News – National UConn cancels football season as NCAA announces scholarship protection amid COVID-19 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailfstop123/iStockBy KELLY MCCARTHY, ABC News(NEW YORK) — The NCAA has stepped up to protect student-athletes’ welfare amid the ongoing pandemic as it pertains to scholarships, eligibility and player health for the 2020 fall season.The NCAA Board of Governors announced on Wednesday that athletes who opt out of the 2020 season will retain full scholarships.“All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19,” the NCAA said. “If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.”All schools and conferences must follow the NCAA’s newly released return-to-sports guidelines in order to carryout preseason, regular season and postseason schedules, and they can’t ask student-athletes to sign COVID-19 waivers.“Our decisions place emphasis where it belongs — on the health and safety of college athletes,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement. “Student-athletes should never feel pressured into playing their sport if they do not believe it is safe to do so.”On the heels of Wednesday’s news, the University of Connecticut Athletic Department said in a statement that its football program has decided to “cancel all competition for the 2020-21 school year.”Among the other proclamations from the NCAA, there will be a new hotline for “athletes, parents or others” to report COVID-19 violations.This gives players a way to make the NCAA aware of unacceptable behavior by coaches who may be inclined to bully and/or to retaliate against those who would dare to complain.Due to the continued threat of coronavirus infection, the NCAA said it could still cancel fall championships, which could pressure conferences and schools to forgo a college football season. The decision for Division I must be made no later than Aug. 21.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. Beau Lundcenter_img Written bylast_img read more

Colleges under pressure after flooding damage

first_imgOxford suffered from flash flooding last week due to torrential rainfall, causing substantial disruption to students and commuters.According to the Met Office, Oxfordshire suffered the heaviest rainfall in the UK last Thursday night, as thunderstorms hit the county for five hours from 17:00.A number of colleges were affected by the flooding, including Magdalen, Mansfield, Pembroke, and Wadham.Heavy rain caused the guttering at Wadham to overflow, which left the top of the library, the MCR, and five student bedrooms affected.A spokesperson for Wadham told Cherwell: “Alternative arrangements were put in place for student bedrooms and the top floor of the library was reopened the day after the incident.”Meanwhile, Mansfield students helped to mop water out of the café area, which had leaked through from the flooded road outside. The rain also came through the roof of Somerville’s college bar, and flooded their patio area. However, the flooding was gone the followingday.Elsewhere in Oxford, around 100 people had to be evacuated from an Oxford Pride show taking place at the Old Fire Station, after water started leaking through the roof. Botley Road, a main route into Oxford from the west of the city, had to be closed due to several feet of water pooled under a railway bridge. Firefighters attended the affected area and the road was reopened by the next morning.Commuters experienced delayed trains from Oxford, due to flooding on the line and at nearby station Didcot Parkway.last_img read more

Niles woman, 57, injured in crash in Milton Township

first_img (Photo supplied/Cass County Sheriff’s Office) A Niles woman was injured in a crash in Milton Township.Cass County Sheriff’s deputies were called around 2:20 p.m. on Saturday, June 13, to Bertrand Street and Ironwood Road, Milton Township, Cass County Michigan. A vehicle driven by a 55-year-old of Elkhart man was traveling eastbound on Bertrand Street and disregarded a stop sign at the intersection of Bertrand and Ironwood Road. The second driver, a 57-year-old woman from Niles, was proceeding through the intersection after stopping. The man did not see the stop sign and struck the side of the woman’s vehicle, according to the Cass County Sheriff’s Office.The woman was transported by EMS to South Bend Memorial Hospital for her injuries. Seat belts were worn. Factors into the crash are still being determined. Google+ Niles woman, 57, injured in crash in Milton Township By Jon Zimney – June 13, 2020 0 374 Pinterest WhatsApp Google+ Twitter Facebook Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Previous articleCar jacking pursuit ends with trooper shot, suspect dead, search for second suspectNext articleConstantine woman, 39, injured in crash in Porter Township Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. IndianaLocalMichiganNewslast_img read more

Authorities Shoot Suspect After Armed Robbery, Chase in Keys

first_imgA Tennessee man wanted in connection with an armed robbery in Key West ended up leading deputies and troopers on a chase and shooting at them Saturday afternoon, prompting authorities to return fire, according to officials.The chase began around 3:15 p.m. when a deputy noticed a car matching the description of a vehicle used in an earlier armed robbery in Key West traveling north on Stock Island. Monroe County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Adam Linhardt said the driver of the car ignored the deputy’s attempts to conduct a traffic stop and continued traveling north, with deputies and the Florida Highway Patrol in pursuit. The car eventually stopped after tire spikes were set near mile marker 10 on Big Coppitt Key.Officials say the driver, 24-year-old Julian Thomas, pulled out a gun and fired at deputies and troopers, who returned fire, Linhardt said.Armed motorist airlifted after shooting on U.S. 1 in Lower Keys: https://t.co/RmY672b0bj pic.twitter.com/KbD4qeoIWW— Florida Keys Sheriff (@mcsonews) July 19, 2020center_img Thomas was shot and airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center in Miami.His gun was found inside the car.No deputies or troopers were injured in the incident, added Linhardt.“The use of force in this case, like all cases of this nature, will be independently investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and reviewed by the state attorney,” Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay said.He went on to say, “That said, with the information I have at this point, this appears to be an appropriate use of force by the officers involved.”last_img read more