Five British nationals including a child have been diagnosed with the new coronavirus at a French mountain village, and health officials said they were checking who else might have been exposed, including at local schools.In total, 11 people, including the five who tested positive, have been hospitalized in southeastern France and were being examined, the French health ministry said on Saturday, adding that none were in serious condition.The group of Britons included holidaymakers and a family currently residing in the Alpine village and ski resort, Les Contamines-Montjoie. They shared neighboring apartments in a chalet and temporarily hosted a British man believed to have contracted the virus at a business congress in Singapore before his short visit to France in late January, the ministry added.Two schools would be shut next week for checks, regional health official Jean-Yves Grall said, after it emerged that the nine-year-old who tested positive had attended lessons and French classes in different establishments.Two other children were also part of the group of 11 now in hospital in the cities of Lyon, Saint-Etienne and Grenoble, and they had been schooled in the area too, according to Etienne Jacquet, mayor of Les Contamines-Montjoie.Some parents in the village, nestled in the mountains close to the Mont Blanc peak and the Swiss city of Geneva, said on Saturday they had received little information so far and were being cautious. “Our children were meant to go to a concert tonight, we took the decision not to take them to not expose other people,” said Beatrice Louvier, adding that her 10-year-old daughter was in the same classroom as one of the three British children.The cases coincide with one of the busiest periods of the ski season for area resorts, as schools in the Paris region begin mid-term holidays. British schools are also on half-term break later this month.Health officials said they were trying to determine who had come into prolonged and close contact with the British group.Several tourists who had just arrived in Les Contamines-Montjoui brushed off the risks and said they would see through their holidays.”The percentage chance of getting infected is not really high,” said Frenchman Stanislas Des Courtis, who was visiting with his two teenage sons. “The ski area is big, and there are not so many places where (people) can gather here all together.”But local resident Catherine Davout, who helps manage flat rentals in the area, said she had already had several cancellations.The new cases emerged after authorities began to retrace the travels of a British man who has been confirmed by Britain to have contracted the virus, French health officials said.They had formed “a cluster, a grouping around one original case”, according to Health Minister Agnes Buzyn, who identified the person as a Briton who had returned from Singapore and stayed in France between Jan. 24 and 28.The French government said Singaporean authorities were looking into a business congress that took place in a hotel there on Jan. 20-23 and was attended by 94 foreigners, including the British man at the center of the Alpine cases.As of Saturday, Singapore had 40 cases of the virus.Of the 11 total cases in France, earlier ones include an 80-year-old Chinese man in a serious condition, while the others have shown signs of improvement, according to medical officials.The epidemic began in Wuhan in China and the vast majority of cases have been in China. Topics :
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisMay 13th, “All Aboard,” to launch two new ventures: 1) the new season for Alpena Shipwreck Tours (with the Friends of Thunder Bay as the new operators), 2) and the grand opening of the Fletcher Street Depot.“All Aboard” fundraiser as it’s first big event to showcase the Depot catering and event planning services. This will be a fundraiser for our education and community outreach programs. The theme is “All Aboard.”AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: All Aboard, fletcher street depot, friends of thunder bay national marine sanctuaryContinue ReadingPrevious City of Alpena Fire Department Holds TrainingNext Duwain Buchler Meth Case Put on Hold in Alcona County
AMES — California Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris calls President Trump “a crook.”“He’s just a walking indictment in a red tie,” Harris said earlier this evening.But during an appearance tonight in Ames Harris did not directly suggest impeachment as the means for forcing Trump’s exit from the White House. Harris did not mention the impeachment inquiry in the U.S. House or President Trump’s phone call with Ukraine’s president either — but the crowd erupted in laughter and cheers when she made a passing reference to Trump’s remarks this week about that phone call.“My background is as a prosecutor and I’m going to tell you something. I can recognize a confession when I see one,” Harris said, laughing along with the crowd.Harris accused Trump of taking the word of authoritarian leaders in Russia, North Korea and Saudi Arabia rather than the professionals the U.S. intelligence community.“Sold out our country and our nation’s security,” Harris said.Harris’ appearance in Ames is part of her retooled campaign effort in Iowa.
Donegal are back in Croke Park for an All-Ireland quarter-final on Saturday the 9th of August. Michael Murphy will lead Donegal out at Croke Park on Saturday the 9th of August.All-Ireland SFC quarter-finals that day will be:Donegal v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 4pm** (Sky Sports) Dublin v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 6pm** (Sky Sports)**Donegal cannot meet Monaghan again at this stage and Dublin cannot meet Meath. If neither win, there will be a draw to determine which of the Rd 4B winners (Armagh, Kildare) play which of the provincial champions.Some fans will be disappointed regarding the timing of the fixture, and that the game will only be screened on Sky Sports.In the Electric Ireland All-Ireland MFC quarter-final Donegal will play Roscommon, Markievicz Park, 3pm on Saturday August 2. Donegal landed their third Ulster title in four years when they defeated Monaghan at Clones yesterday afternoon.They’re hotly tipped to advance past the challenge of either Armagh and Meath and set up a blockbuster of a semi-final with Dublin.That clash is a mouthwatering prospect, but Jim McGuinness will not be drawn on the potential match-up and will focus all his attentions on the quarter-final.The county is in a state of euphoria after winning the Ulster title and with the minors claiming the title also it was an historic day for Donegal.People are starting to believe Donegal could go all the way again this year and repeat their heroics of 2012. We could be in for a long summer yet folks.Tir Chonaill Abú!!DONEGAL BACK IN CROKER AS PART OF ALL-IRELAND QUARTER-FINAL DOUBLE HEADER was last modified: July 21st, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:all-ireland quarter finalCroke ParkdonegalDouble-headerHome-page Sportnews