Stuff co.nz 3 March 2015Women in relationships with men in white-collar jobs are flooding into Women’s Refuge in Timaru for help as the reporting of family violence surges.“While most of our clients are from across the board, we are now seeing a flood of women coming to us who are in relationships, or married, to men with white-collar jobs,” Mid South Island Women’s Refuge and Family Safety Service manager Dawn Rangi-Smith said.Rangi-Smith said that, in the past, women’s refuge case workers helped a lot of clients in relationships with “freezing workers”.“Now we are dealing with a lot of women with partners who are working in supervisory and professional type roles. It’s interesting, and we don’t know why there has been a change all of a sudden. Maybe it’s something we need to research.”Ministry of Social Development statistics released to The Timaru Herald showed the number of family violence referrals from police to Child, Youth and Family (CYF) in Timaru last year was nearly double that in 2011-12. A total of 475 family violence notifications were made by police in 2013-14, compared with 244 in 2011-12. The overall number of notifications received by CYF was 1408, against 1189 in 2011-12.Another area where referrals had increased was the education sector, with CYF receiving 116 in 2013-14, compared with 90 in 2011-12.http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/66865722/Surge-in-cases-of-family-violence
The 25-year-old Ireland striker, who was in the court in central Dublin dressed in a navy suit, white shirt and navy polka dot tie, will have to wait another seven weeks before hearing the fate of his case. Judge Walsh said he was refusing jurisdiction in his court – effectively recommending a higher court take on the case. “If these are the injuries the injured party sustained, to my mind this is not a suitable court,” he said. The judge added: “As a matter of fact it is not a minor offence.” Stokes was accompanied in the courtroom by his father, John Stokes. Judge Walsh said the Director of Public Prosecutions will have to review the case and come back before the court. Stokes was remanded on bail until July 17. The footballer was arrested by appointment earlier this year and charged with assault causing harm to Anthony Bradley, 42, at Buck Whaley’s nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin, on June 8, 2013. After reading medical reports of the alleged victim, Judge Michael Walsh said the injuries were too serious to be dealt with in the Dublin District Court. He ordered the case be sent back to state prosecutors before a decision on whether Stokes will have to stand trial in Ireland’s higher Circuit Court. Celtic striker Anthony Stokes has been warned by a judge that his alleged assault of an Elvis impersonator is no minor offence. The court heard he made no reply to the charge when it was formally put to him. He was granted bail on his own bond of 1,000 euro (£814) with no cash lodgement required. The incident is alleged to have happened several hours after an international between Ireland and the Faroe Islands at the Aviva Stadium. Mr Bradley, an Elvis impersonator from Ballyfermot, west Dublin, was treated for a suspected broken nose and chipped teeth following the incident. Press Association
He reclaimed the 200-metres butterfly title – then helped the USA finish first in the 4-by-200-metres freestyle relay – ahead of Team GB.Phelps is the most decorated Olympian ever – having won 25 medals in total so far.