Congolese rebel leader transferred to International Criminal Court

Mr. Ngudjolo, currently a Colonel in the national armed forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), arrived at the Court’s Detention Centre in The Hague earlier today, according to a statement issued by the ICC. As the highest ranking FNI commander, Mr. Ngudjolo is alleged to have played a key role in designing and carrying out a murderous attack on the village of Bogoro, in the north-eastern Congolese province of Ituri, in February 2003.He is facing three counts of crimes against humanity and six counts of war crimes, including sexual slavery and the use of child soldiers.“With the arrest of Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui, we have completed the first phase of our DRC investigation focusing on the horrific crimes committed by leaders of armed groups active in Ituri since July 2002,” said the Court’s Deputy Prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda. Mr. Ngudjolo’s initial Court appearance is scheduled for 11 February, and a trial date will be determined later. He is the third Congolese national in the custody of the ICC, after Thomas Lubanga Dyilo and Germain Katanga.ICC Registrar Bruno Cathala thanked the Government for its help, highlighting the fact that this is the first time that the Congolese authorities, upon the request of the Court, physically arrested someone.“His arrest and surrender were made possible through the cooperation of the Congolese authorities,” he told reporters in New York. The situation in the DRC is one of four situations currently under investigation by the Prosecutor of the ICC. The others are Uganda, Darfur and the Central African Republic (CAR). The ICC is an independent, permanent court that tries persons accused of the most serious crimes of international concern, namely genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. 7 February 2008Congolese national Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui, an alleged former leader of the rebel National Integrationist Front (FNI), has been arrested and handed over to the International Criminal Court (ICC). read more

CBS 60 Minutes 48 Hours Twitter accounts suspended after being compromised

NEW YORK, N.Y. – The Twitter accounts for two national CBS programs have been compromised and suspended.A CBS News spokeswoman confirms Saturday that tweets sent earlier in the afternoon from the “60 Minutes” and “48 Hours” Twitter handles saying their accounts were compromised are correct.The tweets said the network is working with Twitter to investigate. On Saturday night both accounts were suspended and inaccessible.Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The CBS spokeswoman didn’t comment further.Earlier in the day tweets coming from the 60 Minutes account seemed farfetched, including one that claimed the US government was “hiding the real culprit of the Boston bombing.” by The Associated Press Posted Apr 21, 2013 12:12 am MDT CBS’ ’60 Minutes,’ ’48 Hours’ Twitter accounts suspended after being compromised AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email read more